shaver light wiring

Jeez,

Fitting new shaver socket tomorrow or, at least, was going to until I read this topic.

Current setup:

Bathroom lighting circuit is part of the upstairs lighting circuit which, of course, has its own MCB at the CU. All circuits have CPCs [unlike some of the older wiring practices] Bathroom lighting circuit does NOT have its OWN separate MCB nor is it RCD protected.

Current setup with shaver is directly wired to the lighting ceiling rose and is operated via a switch set up outside the old Zones. Shaver socket is earthed to CPC in lighting circuit.

Now, question is;

Can I refit the shaver socket as it is currently wired [into the lighting circuit] and that will suffice??

OR

Do I need to 'rewire' the bathroom lighting circuit with an earthing cable to the pipework so the whole circuit [including shaver socket] is bonded??

OR

Do I now need to ensure that the bathroom lighting circuit is given its own RCD which will cover the shaver too??

Confused???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Belboz: You can't make anything worse replacing your shaver socket like for like. I can't really comment any more as I'm not a sparky.

Secure: Thanks for picking this up on this thread. As mentioned I'm not an electrician but I thought confusing advice was being given.

Oharaf: I am sure you didn't mean to post what you actually posted. Your other threads suggest you do know what you are doing. I was simply concerned that the OP (or anyone else who stumbled across this thread) would be confused or mislead. I've miss-posted advice myself but luckily someone corrected me //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=908652#908652 Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back