Extension from Shaver Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of putting a light above my bathroom mirror, the shaver socket is just next to this. Would it be possible to wire the light off of the shaver socket? Any hints or tips? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes - don't do it - there is no way to access the output of a shaver socket except by plugging into it. Even if you could do it, I'm not sure it would actually drive a light, even a low-wattage fluourescent.

I wasn't meaning plugging into the front of it, that's plain silly....i was meaning wiring inbehind, taking a feed off in parallel from the wires. My shaver socket is recessed into the wall, and the wiring inbehind is easily accessible. Am not totally certain whether its wired into the lighting circuit or wall sockets, its something i will have to check. But i was wondering whether its feasible or even electrically sound to do so?

Sponsored Links
purplebloke said:
I wasn't meaning plugging into the front of it, that's plain silly....i was meaning wiring inbehind, taking a feed off in parallel from the wires. My shaver socket is recessed into the wall, and the wiring inbehind is easily accessible. Am not totally certain whether its wired into the lighting circuit or wall sockets, its something i will have to check. But i was wondering whether its feasible or even electrically sound to do so?

Sorry - seems to be my day for getting the end wrong of stick the.

Provided you use the same size cable as that feeding the shaver socket, and provided the light meets all the requirements for bathrooms (pull switch & rated for the zone it's in) then yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back