Bathroom/toilet extractor fans and a shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently fitting out two bathrooms and a downstairs toilet (all part P notified and above board) and I would like to get confirmation on the permissible supply issues for the extractor fans and the shaver socket.

Extractor fans
All three are overrun timed units and are all fully ducted - to be placed in the ceiling void with only plastic grills showing in the rooms.

I would like to feed all of these from the lighting circuits via triple pole switches. Firstly, can you confirm that FCUs are not also required in this case? Secondly, in my IEE guide to the regs, it states that items in zone 1 must have 30mA RCD protection. Because the fans that will be directly above the showers are fully ducted (with the fan unit well hidden in the ceiling but still just within 3m from the floor), are they considered to still be in zone 1? If so, it is not possible to run these units from the lighting circuit as they are not on an RCD. Opinions please.

Shaver socket
Can I run the shaver socket from the lighting circuit without the use of an FCU or isolator switch. This would be in zone 3 and would be supp bonded to the sink pipes/taps and the lighting fixtures nearby. Is RCD protection an issue here?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know that bathroom electrics have been well covered in the past but I haven't found full answers to these specific points in the posts that I have studied.

Steve

Sponsored Links
As we are approaching 17th ed. why not put the lighting circuit for the bathroom onto RCD via an RCD protected 5A FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back