RCD board - Hedgecutter etc Safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new RCD Circuit board fitted last year replacing the old Fuse type board.

With the old board when using any electrical appliance ie Hedgecutter, drill, pressure washer I always used a Safety plug for protection for outdoor use.

Now I have this new board which is RCD protected.

Do I still need to use a Safety plug when using electrical appliances outdoors for personal protection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need to use it, but if you do it won't do any harm.

RCDs can go wrong (don't forget to test yours every 2-3 months), so it could be argued that having 2 RCDs is better. The chances of one going wrong are pretty small, so it wouldn't make sense to buy a plug-in if there's one in the CU, but as you've got one already...

You may find pushing the test button on the plug in one will trip the one in the new board. But BAS is quite correct no harm in still using both but not required.

The one advantage with MOST plug in types is after a power cut they will not work until reset button is pressed. This means when using for example an electric drill with the hold button pressed in it will not restart as power returns.

Also some plug in types are 10ma rather then the 30ma used in the board so will detect a fault before the one in the board.

One thing to remember a RCD does NOT stop you getting a shock it only reduces the time to less than 40 ms. It reduces the chance of a fatality due to a shock but you can still get a shock.

Personally I do not use two RCD's as one does not know which one has tripped. But nothing to stop you using both. The only place where two RCD's of same tripping time is required is with boats and caravans. I have no idea why but would assume in case the marina or caravan site have not upgraded to current regulations.

I chopped through my hedge cutter cable the other day with a pop and a flash.

oops I thought that's the rcd and fuse gone, nope.... none went, so I thought the rcd might be faulty.

Looked at the cable more closely when I went to repair it, no earth..

That explains that then.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It would be better/safer if there were a cpc in the cable but it must not be legally required therefore - cheaper without.

I chopped through my hedge cutter cable the other day with a pop and a flash. oops I thought that's the rcd and fuse gone, nope.... none went, so I thought the rcd might be faulty. Looked at the cable more closely when I went to repair it, no earth.. That explains that then.
Yep, that's an often discussed issue. However, whilst a good few people feel that these 2-core cables shouldn't be allowed, it doesn't mean that, even with them, an RCD is useless ... if you chop through a 2-core cable without the fuse or MCB operating, that leaves a live end of cable. If you then get hold of that live end (whilst standing on soil with bare wet feet, of course!), an RCD would be welcome - and might even save your life!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back