Electrician Anyone? RCD advice needed!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently moved in to a new house with a usable cellar. The wall mounted RCD consumer board (contains loads of little mcb's)is located there and in is fairly new (2003). The thing that concerns me is that it states which circuits are RCD protected. Unfortunately, it states that the wall sockets in the cellar and some lighting circuits are NOT RCD protected. Does this mean it's unsafe to plug electrical equipment in down there and use for long periods of time? I have no central heating in the cellar and I wanted to use a electric heater down there but i'm worried about using it as it's quite high wattage and this circuit is not RCD protected? I'm probably over worrying about this but I'm very cautious when it comes to electricity! Can anyone tell me If it is common to not have the cellar circuits protected by RCD's?
I have thought about running an extension leads down there from the ground floor to overcome this but it seems ridiculous to do so. Thanks.
PS - I'm terrified of electricity so this post might sound stupid! :confused: :confused:Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your installation would have been designed to the 16th edition of the Wiring Regulations which only required sockets that are liable to supply portable equipment outdoors be protected by a 30mA RCD.

You're perfectly safe if the equipment is used indoors.

All domestic installations designed to the 17th edition (current) should have RCD protection in place for sockets (less than 20A) that are for general use.

Hi, I recently moved in to a new house with a usable cellar. The wall mounted RCD consumer board (contains loads of little mcb's)is located there and in is fairly new (2003). The thing that concerns me is that it states which circuits are RCD protected. Unfortunately, it states that the wall sockets in the cellar and some lighting circuits are NOT RCD protected.

That's nothing unusual for an installation of that date. It would have been installed to the 16th edition, where the only requirement for an RCD was to protect socket outlets that are likely to supply outdoor equipment.

Does this mean it's unsafe to plug electrical equipment in down there and use for long periods of time?

Of course not.

I have no central heating in the cellar and I wanted to use a electric heater down there but i'm worried about using it as it's quite high wattage and this circuit is not RCD protected?

If it bothers you that much then you can always use an RCD adaptor or hardwired RCD plug, or even have the circuit moved over to the RCD. However, you shouldn't be paranoid just because something isn't RCD protected - they aren't the be all and end all of safety. You still rely on proper use and good design of the heaters to prevent potential overheating and risk of fire. An RCD cannot necessarily prevent that.

I'm probably over worrying about this but I'm very cautious when it comes to electricity! Can anyone tell me If it is common to not have the cellar circuits protected by RCD's?

In installations to the 16th edition, yes. It's now been superseded by the 17th where all your sockets would be protected, but that doesn't mean the 16th was unsafe.

I have thought about running an extension leads down there from the ground floor to overcome this but it seems ridiculous to do so. Thanks.

That's an even worse idea. The chances of overloading the extension leads, one getting caught in a door and damaged, someone tripping, etc are far higher. You need to get your commonsense hat on and start worrying about more than just electricity.

Maybe whoever had the house rewired kept their freezer in the cellar. Keeping that circuit off the rcd would prevent a nuisance trip from defrosting all their food.

Sponsored Links
Maybe whoever had the house rewired kept their freezer in the cellar. Keeping that circuit off the rcd would prevent a nuisance trip from defrosting all their food.

Thats a rather large assumtion.

I would say they simply did not RCD protect them because they did not need to to comply to the 16th! Simple.

if you want to have RCD protection added to the other circuits, this may be possible at reasonable cost. Post a photo of your CU (door open and door closed) so we can see what the make model and layout are, and tell us any brand names and part nos you can see.

All domestic installations designed to the 17th edition (current) should have RCD protection in place for sockets (less than 20A) that are for general use.

:?: :?: :?:

Why quote "less than 20a"- have I missed something or is that a typo :eek:

411.3.3(i)

Although it is also a typo - should be "not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use", not "less than 20A"

Yes, should have been not exceeding 20A.

You get the picture though as in this instance it's relating to 13A sockets in a domestic enviroment which are obviously for general use and will be used by ordinary persons.

I'm not blonde, blame the near constant daily hangovers and the kin flu that seems to have grabbed moi and the family :(

Ta lads, happy Xmas :D

Hi thanks for the replies. I can't work out how to post pics :oops: ! It is a Wylex board. From left to right. 4 switches (MCB's?) that are protected. Shower (off) maybe because we don't use electric shower. Kitchen sockets (on). Sockets upstairs (on). Sockets ground floor (on).
Then a big blue switch (on) that says 80a, 90ma, 230v.
Then 4 more switches (MCB's?) that ARE NOT protected by RCD: Imersion heater (on), Sockets in cellar (on), Lighting Upstairs Cellar (on), Lighting Downstairs Alarm (on).
Then 2 big red switches together. sticker on this switch says AC22a 100a wylex WS102. There is a sticker above this that says total load not to exceed 100a 230v ac 50Hz.

So I guess its safe to use electric equipment in the cellar then? I will use a portable RCD plug on the heater unless this is unwise? Thanks for your replies. Sorry If I sound overly worried about this, but I'm definately no electrician and I just don't want any mishaps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back