If cables beneath plaster should be protected by an RCD...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... how are there ANY cables in a house with solid walls that don't have RCDs? My old house didn't have an RCD protecting the lighting circuits, which I think is relatively usual, but I don't know where the cables would be if they weren't in the walls. (I don't actually know where they went).

In our new place, I don't think there's any other way to get power up into the main house from the cellar (neatly ;) without plastering them into the walls, so it looks like all our circuits will have to be RCD protected. Is that particularly common? I'm not particularly against protecting things with RCDs, I'm just curious. Do people in this situation just use multiple seperate RCDs?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The regulations re concealed wiring (less than 50mm from the surface) changed in 2008 so it did not apply to older installations. Wiring regulations are not retrospective.
New wiring and circuits must comply with the new regs so new circuits have to be protected by a 30mA RCD.

This can be
an RCD inside the consumer unit that protects a number of circuits
an RCD outside the consumer unit that protects just that one specific circuit
or
an RCBO inside the consumer unit that protects an individual circuit.

There are some other variations but those are the most common ones.

In our new place, I don't think there's any other way to get power up into the main house from the cellar (neatly ;) without plastering them into the walls, so it looks like all our circuits will have to be RCD protected.
Or run in earthed steel conduit.

BTW if you REALLY don't want a particular circuit to be on RCD there are alternatives to RCD protection of concealed cables, they just cost more.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back