17th Edition RCD Protection

I don't see why not, there may be a need for a single means of isolation which can be obtained using a 4pole isolator next to the meter.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not, there may be a need for a single means of isolation which can be obtained using a 4pole isolator next to the meter.

There is not a 4 pole isolator in my dad's maisonette (it has E7 heating) which is the downstairs, below the one we are talking about (The one we are talking about is my nan & gdad's, so my dads parents maisonette)

The pictures below are of the E7 setup in my dad's maisonette, which was installed by a firm.

The E7 Setup:

P3160019.jpg

Meter wiring:

P3160023.jpg

The Off Peak Heating CU:

P3160025.jpg

The Peak CU (An old metalclad MEM):

P3160021.jpg

The current CU in my nan & gdad's maisonette is the same as my dad's peak CU.

What I was going to do was to run in the storage heater cable, from the cu cupboard to where the DP SW for the Storage heater is going to go. And also run in the cable for the 2 smoke alarms (but not wire up), And then get in a spark to change the Old MEM CU for a Crabtree Split Dual Tariff CU, & connect up the storage heater & smoke alarms, & to sign it off.

Then get the DNO in to fit a E7 Meter & Radioteleswitch.

Would this be ok :?:

Should I have an isolator fitted in the tails to isolate both the Peak & Off Peak supplies at the same time :?:

(I am doing this as at the moment the only heating in the maisonette is a gas fire in the front room, & underfloor heating in the kitchen & bathroom. When my nan & gdad moved in to the maisonette there was a old gas heater in both bedrooms, which they had removed when the hot water boiler was replaced)

P.S. what I like is london electricity's idea of a MET block (NOT). It is a metal bolt & nut fixed to their back board where all the main bonds go. :eek: :confused: Most houses in Bexley the MET is like this.

Picture of my dad's MET:

P3160018.jpg

And picture of the MET at my nan & gdad's old house:

DSC00091.jpg

And oh look the same type of MET.

I'm going by the type of isolator which I have seen being installed to some premises with E7, some piccys on here I have seen a DP isolator isolating the phase from the normal and the phase from the E7.
Not 100% sure what the regs are on this, I was on the understanding that if there are more than one isolator to kill the installation then warning notices should be posted.

The GN (I am told) advises either one point of isolation OR notices to warn that there is more than one POI.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

With regards to smoke detectors, if they are backed up with an internal battery then they can be spured of the ring main or taken from the lighting circuit as loss of power has no effect on their operation, the mains just keeps the battery in a state of full charge.

This is similar to emergency lighting, if using emergency lights without an internal battery, ie powered from remote source such as a UPS then the wiring has to be mic or fp.

Roy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back