17th edition rcd and cooker problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As most know cookers (even nearly new ones ) can cause nuisance trips on a 30mA RCD,so most cooker circuits were placed on the non RCD protected side of the split load unit but 17th Edition regs say most (if not all circuits) will need RCD protection.
How do we face this problem if cookers are causing this nuisance tripping?

Sponsored Links
instal it in a metal conduit drop.

things will unfold soon about how we are going to deal with all this,but personally,i will probably do this,and the same with the boiler as standard

You can use a cable type which does not require additional protection when concealled in a wall. Also probably a good idea not to install a CCU with a socket outlet.

Sponsored Links
Sarky :rolleyes:

The dabate still rages surrounding which cables will be suitable for wiring non-rcd circuits in the 17th.

Some split-con I imagine, but which? And will it really be worth it when the price of RCBO's is sure to fall, my local wholesalers is actually stocking them for Wylex, Hager and Chint now.

wow just been searching this forum and seen some great debates on these sort of problems.
I can forsee lots of cable drops to CCU`s (without socket outlets) being re chased and galvenised conduit being employed,bushed at the top where the T+E enters, to give mechanical protection,which as i see it removes the need for that circuit to be RCD protected...
Is that right?

its the hassle of using these different types of cables.

no problem to get the pipe vice out of the van though.you will get away with some conduit drops(people will pay a few quid on top for this imho)sockets need rcd protection anyway so no point there,but lighting,nah install costs will rule out conduit i think.

CC,you wont need to pull out existing drops,they can stay(unless you are changing the CU).you could do the drop to the CU suface if it needs replacing or if in the hallway etc,just raise it so it touches the ceiling

EDIT:

missed something there didnt i?

the advice i gave regarding pulling out the existing drops is wrong.replacing the existing drops to the cu wont help because you will still have drops for all your sub circuits not in conduit.

dont know why i woke up with that in my head sorry :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back