RCD connection query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I came across an din - rail mounted RCD , wired into a 2 way enclosure , incomers fed straight from the cut-out straight and outgoers to a Old Style 100A Wylex Plug-In type CU.

Obviously , any leakages to earth over the 30mA rating would trip the whole incoming supply to the CU (lights etc) , but the person who's house it is was not worried about this, in fact they felt safer because of it (A Relative!!)

What I am concerned at, is that the RCD incomers have been connected to the bottom of the device, and the outgoers to the consumer come from the top of it, I have taken the lid of the RCD enclosure and they are definitely connected into the terminals that way .The device is a LeGrand 80A 30mA housed in a Gewiss IP65 encosure . The device trips with the test button, and also trips out with earth leakage.

Does anybody know if din-rail RCD's have been made in the past with the incomers at the bottom of it, because to me this looks all wrong, yet still trips???? Has anybody had any experience of these devices being wired incorrectly yet still working OK ??

I said I'd make some enquiries for him as to its safety.

Is there a way of telling from the diagram on the front of the unit, which are the load and which are the supply. All this has is L1,L2,L3,L4 , and a small circuit diagram showing the coil & test button, it does not say which are the load and which are the supply, although past experience tells me that all loads come out of the bottom of the units!!

Sponsored Links
Some RCD`s are acceptable to have incomming/outgoing top or bottom as long as each pair (if single Phase) are both at top or bottom and not mixed
Check with the manufacturer of this particular RCD

jondiy
I had a query about this one time as well, i would not worry about it, its fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back