RCD devices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gday everybody,

I live in Australia in a place called Broken Hill , and usually we dont get much rain , but it has been raining since about 4am this morning , not heavy but consistent drizzle that will be good for the farmers as we dont get all that much rain here .

Anyway my problem is that the RCD tripped on the light circuit and I have reset it and it has been going OK since .

Prior to about 2 years ago I never had the RCD devices fitted but when we got out bathroom refitted etc and I had a new hot water service fitted I had to get a RCD fitted as a requirement of the laws here that all new things installed had to be fitted with one . Anyway I have had a RCD fitted for all the circuits (ie) power , HWS and light , and it is the light one that has just tripped .

This has happened about 2 hours ago and (touch wood ) it is still going OK with no problems . By the way I only had 2 fleoros going at the time of the problem on the light circuit .

Could anyone hazard a guess what may have happened ? and whether I will have to do any follow up on it if it doesnt happen again , as I am a little bit uncertain about it . :)

Sponsored Links
its not a lot of use, but they are not required on lighting circuits over here (flourescents can cause nuisance tripping)

Thanks breezer for your reply, is there any check you can do on your circuit that the average handyman can do ? :D I am not an electrician but a retired motor mechanic .

thanks

Peter

Could be the capacitor that's failed. Check with a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Back