Rcd do not trip at x1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I am testing a circuit that goes to the garden with armoured cable. The RCD will not trip at x 1 (gets over 400ms) but trips fine on x5. The other circuits seems to be fine with the RCD test (30 mA). Using megger mft 1552. Any reason?

When I move that circuit to the other RCD (30 mA) it trips fine within the time.

My puzzle why will the garden circuit not trip at x 1. What could have been wrong.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
distance of run? dodgy earth? dodgy neutral?

what are the Zs readings for the garden circuit?

It is incorrect to test an RCD from a final circuit.

Test it in isolation.

What was the Zs at that point before you started work?

Zs is 1.32, Protected by type B MCB rated at 16A. Wiring all 3 is 2.5 mm and the armoured also is connected to Earth.

Insulation resistance >299 on all three.

Could not get a trip on 1 RCD with several attemps, but same circuit was fine when swapped over to the other RCD

Sponsored Links
Test the RCD in isolation. If it fails, swap it out.

Securespart

Might sound silly, how do I test Rcd in isolation.
:rolleyes:

Or if it is difficult to take the cables out of the outgoing terminals, switch off all the MCB's attached to that RCD to isolate the live terminal, then either disconnect all the neutrals from the busbar attached to that RCD or pull out (if it is flexible) the neutral feed to that busbar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back