RCD for radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add 3 double sockets to my utility room. I am planning on adding them as a new radial circuit. I am aware that sockets that could reasonably be used outside should have RCD protection. My CU is a Metal Wylex from the 80's with plug-in MCB's and it has spare positions.

My question is: can you buy RCD/RCBO's to fit these older boxes? I'm guessing the answer is no, as i've yet to find anything. If that is the case what is the best way to provide RCD protection to this radial circuit.

Thanks

PS ..... Hold on the Part P advise please - I am aware that notification will be required. :mad:

Sponsored Links
You could wire a 4.0mm radial ,this does depend on distance as to what your fuse/MCB, is, ie 20 or 30 amp

From spare way in cu,
Run cable first to 30mamp RCD in a separate enclosure, then onto your sockets.

Can you not make this circuit a ring main ?

I was planning on using a 20 amp MCB with 2.5 T&E. The CU is also in the utility room and the length of the radial will be no more than 10 metres and will be used for water softener, fridge/freezer, and washing machine.

Would I really need to use 4.0mm T&E for this?

Sponsored Links
You will struggle to get an RCD to fit inside your old CU but you could remotely mount one beside it, or use an RCD socket if that your worry

DIYchallenged said:
I was planning on using a 20 amp MCB with 2.5 T&E. The CU is also in the utility room and the length of the radial will be no more than 10 metres and will be used for water softener, fridge/freezer, and washing machine.

Would I really need to use 4.0mm T&E for this?
4mm² on a 25A, or 32A if the cable is on the surface, would be better.

The reason is that if youlve got your W/M going at its full consumption, and the F/F compressor kicks in, you might trip a 20A.

As for RCDs, I'd agree with RCD sockets here, and not have the F/F on one, as you don't want nuisance trips taking that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back