RCD in kitchen ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a kitchen and original wiring was'nt up to much, so put in a new ring. Upgraded main earthing and main ecqui. p. bonding.
Do I have to connect this new ring into own separate RCD unit ( would have to be installed ) or can I utilise a spare way in BS1361 fuse board and put a seperate RCD socket on existing old ring ( near back door in dining room, etc ).
Also do I have to start upgrading supplementary bonding in bathroom ?

Thank you for any advice

Sponsored Links
Your new ring should be on an RCD. The regs talk about any socket which might reasonably be used from outside must be protected by an RCD. And I think, having one other socket on an RCD would not satisfy the "reasonably" bit.

Besides, I'd want my kitchen on an RCD. Regs or not, there's water in a kitchen, and cooking and stuff.

Thank you Slippy

Wouldn't there be a problem with nuisance tripping from appliances eg. all switching on or off at once, etc ?

If there is a dedicated RCD socket, do I " legally " have to cover the kitchen, I can see why it should but is that good practice or an actual requirement that must be adhered too ?

It's an actual requirement to RCD protect sockets which might "reasonably" be used outside. That's the word- "reasonably", and it's not defined in this context. And since your kitchen rewire is covered by part P, you'll find that your friendly building inspector or his testing spark delegate, will want an RCD there.

You shouldn't get nuisance tripping from appliances in the kitchen.

You seem to be set on NOT installing an RCD, and looking for a route for that to be OK. Flip it round: why not spend £30 for something which could quite possibly save your, or one of your families, lives.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Slippy

I just want to do whats right.
But getting conflicting ideas of whats needed from 2 mates that are NIC sparks. 1 saying RCD the new kitchen ring, the other saying wouldn't put RCD in kitchen but put RCD socket where it would probably be used to feed outside equipment.
I dont mind installing seperate RCD consumer unit just for kitchen ( cant afford to have complete Board changed at the moment ) but who is right, or are they both right ?
Seems to be different opinions for lots of these regs
Do I have to do Supplementary or again is this just an opinion ?

The common argument for not RCDing the kitchen is so that the freezer is not cut off if something else trips the RCD. It's acceptable to get around this by wiring the freezer (via an FCU on a radial, not a socket) to the non RCD side of a split load CU.

Your two niceic sparks opinions differ, and that's as likely as anything to be due to the ambiguity of "reasonably". However, there are a lot of sparks on this forum who regard every downstairs socket as "reasonably expected" to be used outside.

Other than the freezer, I don't think there are any major downsides to using an RCD in the kitchen, but there are plenty of upsides.

Can this new RCD CU which is just for the kitchen be wired off a spare fuseway from the existing Fuseboard ( BS 1361 fuses ) or should I put in new tails to be connected to the Blocks where there is already some tails coming out to feed a shower RCD.

Con-fused said:
Can this new RCD CU which is just for the kitchen be wired off a spare fuseway from the existing Fuseboard ( BS 1361 fuses ) or should I put in new tails to be connected to the Blocks where there is already some tails coming out to feed a shower RCD.

RCD can be fed from a spare fuse in CU. not much point in spliiting tails for that

6 or 10 mm cable between RCD unit and existing ? Just a 30 amp ring being fed
Should I put 40 amp BS1361 fuse in to where the new RCD unit would be taken from ?

Con-fused said:
6 or 10 mm cable between RCD unit and existing ? Just a 30 amp ring being fed
Should I put 40 amp BS1361 fuse in to where the new RCD unit would be taken from ?

30A fuse in CU, either 2 2.5mm cables from fuse to RCD, or 6mm (id go with 6mm if you have it). form RCD, ring as normal.

30A fuse in CU, either 2 2.5mm cables from fuse to RCD, or 6mm (id go with 6mm if you have it). form RCD, ring as normal.[/quote]

Cheers Andy

Sorry, I take it, just one 6mm cable from fuseway to RCD.
And from RCD ring as normal
Are you allowed to do two 2.5 mm cables, bit messy looking but is it still acceptable ?

Just asking ?
Thanks

Con-fused said:
Sorry, I take it, just one 6mm cable from fuseway to RCD.
And from RCD ring as normal
Are you allowed to do two 2.5 mm cables, bit messy looking but is it still acceptable ?

Just asking ?
Thanks

ideally, id keep it as 1 cable from CU to RCD. altho 2 2.5mm should be acceptable sicne the fuse it still lower rated than that of the cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back