rcd ramp test results

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there.

i was called to an rcd intermittant trip fault. As per normal, i disconnected all loads and tested IR, fine. Then ramp tested the rcd which disconnected at 15ma and 17ma on both halves of the cycle in 9ms and 14ms respectively. I then introduced some of the loads gradually. wash mach, dish wash, ff, kettle so on. could not recreate it. checked continuity of ring and inspected all accessory connections that i could find. Nothing outdoors!! re ramp tested got 22ma and 21 ma at 15 and 17ms. then had chat with customer and then reramp tested and got a trip at 180 degrees at 14ma in 20ms.

So i know that i never get anything over about 23 ma when i ramp test.

What can i deduce from this? A combined intermittant earth leakage from appliances and an intermittantly over sensitive rccb?

There could of course be an intermittant fault in the fixed wiring and an intermittant rccb sensitivity problem. does any body else experience such different ramp test results on retest? I have agreed to change rccb when or if it next trips but a discussion may help me

Sponsored Links
Anything less than 16 ditch the RCD.

RCD tests SHOULD be done in complete isolation, IE disconnect both outgoing tails.

If this is difficult, switch off all MCB's on the RCD and then disconnect the neutral to the busbar.

This isolates all wiring/ equipment from the RCD.

If it still shows a fluctuating ramp test result, then ditch it.

Sponsored Links
yes Rob thanks and to secure(simon, i remember)? I tested RCCB in isolation. can there be a reason for fluctuating ramp test results other than faulty rccb or faulty fluke(calibrated 2 months ago).

fluctuating supply voltage or is this irrelavant across the mechanism? or temperature differences for instance, obviously not in this case, as the interval between test was short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back