RCD Requirement

JEV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother in laws 1996 Mira Supreme 9Kw shower leaked at the pressure switch. I am replacing with a Triton Cara 9.5Kw which needs RCD because of regs (since 2008).
Leaflet shows 45amp cartridge is suitable.

Pictures show present set up to supply shower. Wylex 80amp CU with 45amp cartridge - (this unit is separate to main CU ,which has a Main Switch RCD - no spare spaces)
Position of Wylex CU in meter box is such that fitting new RCD will need to be in loft.

10mm cable lies on top of loft insulation and is then buried in non insulated wall.
I plan to fit RCD on the bare brick wall shown - plenty of slack in cable exists. This would be just prior to pull switch.

RCD's I see on web are for fitting in an enclosure with DIN bar - Are there no longer any stand alone units?
I have an RCD its a MK LN 6730 30amp 30ma which is a stand alone unit - From another installation. But I am thinking wouldn't that that wouldn't be suitable?

Mother in Law is 93 and we have to look after her!

Anyone got advice/pointers to what is available/suitable?
Many Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2729.JPG
    DSCN2729.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN2730.JPG
    DSCN2730.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN2731.JPG
    DSCN2731.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN2733.JPG
    DSCN2733.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN2738.JPG
    DSCN2738.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
RCD's I see on web are for fitting in an enclosure with DIN bar - Are there no longer any stand alone units?
Yes, it's a DIN rail mounting RCD with a separately purchased 2 or 3 module enclosure.

A 30A RCD is not suitable for use with a 40A load.

• Thanks
Reactions: JEV
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - I didnt mean to write 'wouldnt that' - I meant to write 'that wouldnt' - changes the whole meaning!
Thanks for Toolstation link also.
Its 20 years since I had to do any electrical.:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back