RCD trip on cooker sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was doing the DISQ at the NIC it was a known problem that certain cooker sockets don't like RCD's and cause them to trip constantly.

Over Xmas when I updated the CU for a 12w split wylex CU I experienced this problem 1st hand.

At the time I simply avoided sending the cooker radial cct to the RCD side of the CU, I'm now in a position where the only grd floor circuit that isn't on a RCD, is the cooker socket.

The cooker sockets is one of these:-

KN83NCW.JPG

A Chelsea Flat Plate
Polished Chrome
45A Cooker Unit with Neon

I understand that I could fit a warning label "not for external use" or could even simply provide a baby safe plug blank (to prevent use of the socket).

Could anyone remind me why the RCD doesn't like the cooker socket, it can't be the neon because some of the fused spurs have neons and function and test perfectly okay on the kitchen ring circuit.

Words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
It is not the socket itself but the fact that the cooker elements can have some earth leakage in use causing operation of the RCD

Sarah

So what the official / best get around when the cooker point has a socket that should come within the boundaries of RCD required due to being on the grd floor :?:

Ta for 1st part answer

Sponsored Links
If it isn't next to a window or door, and there are other sockets closer to windows and doors, it doesn't need RCD protecting. Only sockets that could reasonable provide power outdoors need RCD protection. ;)

there are a few ways arround it.

one way is to just claim that the socket is unlikely to be used for equipment outdoors anyway, whether this makes sense depends on how close it is to doors/windows.

another option is to label it, the tricky bit with this option is making sure the label is durable.

another option is to replace it with one without a socket, unfortunately the only ones without sockets i've seen are intended for either a single gang box or a vertically mounted double gang box.

Those cooker connection units can no longer be fitted under Irish regs.

*All* sockets rated less than 32A must be RCD protected, so it effectively outlawed them.

Any sockets in kitchens thesedays are usually fed from 20A radial circuits and are all RCD protected.

(We've slightly different wiring to the UK, rings are much less commonly used)

You generally don't see those Cooker Sockets though in houses younger than the mid 80s and electricians will remove them if they do any work to install a new cooker etc.

It would be very odd to have your cooker circuit wired to an RCD though. So, I can't see how it might be tripping it.

Also, it's worth noting that the appliance most commonly connected to those sockets, the kettle, is the most likely device to trip an RCD. They tend to get wet rather easily and almost anytime I've had an accident trip its been the kettle or an iron :)

solair said:
It would be very odd to have your cooker circuit wired to an RCD though. So, I can't see how it might be tripping it.

Cooker is gas, juice was only for clock timer and controls. I did attempt to provide the cct to the RCD side of the split CU because on the socket that was intergal to the cooker point.

So hopefully your understanding my logic :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back