RCD tripping cos of gas boiler ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's

A mate has just called me as his RCD keeps tripping when he put's his gas boiler on,
He said he has checked the fuse's,
When he has the thermostat on 0oc its ok, the min he turns it up it trips.
When he puts the water on it trips,

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Given the lack of information this will have to be a wild stab in the dark:

Circulating pump.

Yes main culprit. Easy to prove, disconnect supply from pump, terminate ends safely, run heating for a few seconds (or boiler will blow), not trip? change pump. Trip? try pump on a flying leed, no trip? what else in boiler could be doing it? move along to fan if it has one, apply same checks.

If modern boiler with contolr board, unplug externals from control board, try, no trip? plug in one at a time until it trips. You have found your culprit.

Or just aska vague question on a forum and hope that mystic meg is lurking.

I'll tell him to give it a go.

Basically whenever either the water or central heating is pressed on the controller the RCD trips instantaneously.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Sponsored Links
learner123 said:
I'll tell him to give it a go.

Basically whenever either the water or central heating is pressed on the controller the RCD trips instantaneously.

I'll let you know how we get on.
You say he checked the fuses - why? An RCD doesn't trip because of overcurrent. ;)

trips on earth leakage ..

i had 1 the other day short on the fly lead up to the pump... very frusrating .. ferolli errr

You say he checked the fuses - why? An RCD doesn't trip because of overcurrent.

I didn't say it was an overcurrent and he's not an electrician and usually when something doesn't work Joe Blogs first port of call is to check fuses.

water leak dripping onto an electrical part. It needs a boiler engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back