rcd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a dual RCD CU, one side of which tripped and wouldn't reset. I tracked the problem to the circuit which does the central heating pump etc and an immersion heater which is not normally used (fused switch is left off and gas central heating used instead) by disconnecting the neutrals in the CU with the MCBs off, then reconnecting one at a time to see which caused the RCD trip. However, the problem then disappeared before I could isolate the bits on the problem circuit. The RCD still operates with the test button, but whatever caused the trip is no longer doing so.

So, two questions -
1) suggestions as to cause and likelihood of recurrence
2) if it recurs and I can't solve it, is this a problem for an electrician, or a plumber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't know the cause and it may happen again.

However some RCDs won't reset unless you switch off all the associated MCBs first.

Others have to be pressed completely off before switching back on.

If it keeps happening you will obviously need an electrician.

Since it has to be some part of the central heating system, I'd need an electrician who can replace plumbing bits, or a plumber who can identify which part is the problem. Does such a beast exist? Otherwise I'm paying twice, and for an intermittent fault, paying through the nose.

Here sir

An electrician who can do plumbing would be much better than a plumber who can do electricing (what is the proper word?)

Sponsored Links
Here sir

An electrician who can do plumbing would be much better than a plumber who can do electricing (what is the proper word?)

So you're accustomed to identifying an replacing dodgy CH bits? Would you say that's the norm for electricians? I'd presume this type of thing must come up a lot.

As you've said there's central heating systems.

Also electric showers, power showers, shower pumps, immersion heaters etc.
All of which involve a bit of plumbing. Better to do it all at once.

I just don't think a plumber would be used to tracing the sort of faults which would cause your RCD to trip. I don't think they would have the test equipment. I suppose I could be wrong.

I just don't think a plumber would be used to tracing the sort of faults which would cause your RCD to trip. I don't think they would have the test equipment. I suppose I could be wrong.
I think you are right based on experience of a couple of plumbers faced with electrical problems in various houses of friends and family. None of them had sensible test equipment. One even relied on a neon screw driver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back