rcd tripping please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ive just fitted a spilt load wirlex cu to replace and old cu the problem i have is the 80amp rcd is tripping constantly and wont even reset even when the protected mcbs are all off , ive even removed all wire to the mcbs on the protected side just leaving the rcd live and it still trips as i thought there may be an earth fault on one of the circuits .would you say its a possible rcd at fault many thanksin advance tim

Sponsored Links
Have you done any testing of the circuits that you have connected to this new CU??

It would help if you caould post a photo of the new CU (power off - covers off)

Remember to remove neutrals as well as lives when disconecting a circuit to eliminate it as a source of RCD problems.

And make sure you connect stuff to the correct neutral bar.

Sponsored Links
There's no point to removing the wires to the MCBs if they're switched off because the circuit lives are already separated from each other. It's the corresponding circuit neutrals that you have to disconnect, because they're all joined together on a common bar and it's likely that you have a poor insulation reading between one (or more) of those neutrals and earth.

I won't trouble you to explain why you're using a split-load board, I suppose you have your reasons.........

So, to start with, unplug all appliances, switch of FCUs etc: Disconnect those neutrals, then restore them one by one 'til the RCD trips. Hopefully this might identify the faulty circuit.

Lucia.

hi chaps thanks for the replys will try and upload some pics later when the net is back on in our house dam vm , i havent done any testing on the circuits as my meters not to good but will try and get a sparky i know round asap ,i was just thinking it was a faulty rcd as i mentioned i can connect just the main live neutral and earth to the cu and the mcb just trips with no circuits connected is there a way of bench testing these rcds at all many thanks tim

I seem to have partly duplicated your post, plugwash. I didn't see it there when I began to reply.....

Lucia

Hardtail, upload pictures later if you must, but it might be better to get that sparky of yours to have a look at it in the flesh - particularly as your 'meter isn't too good'......

Lucia

cheers guys ill remove the neutrals from the protected side and see if it trips hopefully i can get some pics up when i get home many thanks again for you help so far tim

hi chaps thanks for the replys will try and upload some pics later when the net is back on in our house dam vm , i havent done any testing on the circuits as my meters not to good but will try and get a sparky i know round asap ,i was just thinking it was a faulty rcd as i mentioned i can connect just the main live neutral and earth to the cu and the mcb just trips with no circuits connected is there a way of bench testing these rcds at all many thanks tim

what kind of meter do you have?

hi guys net back on so at home now , couple of replys,yes the rcd resets with the power off ,and the meter i have is just a basic digial one but ill be honest i only use it for continuaty testing and for voltage never understund the ohms thing ive managed to move a mcb from the protected side to the other for tonight just to get power to the fridges etc but will grab hold of a sparky tommorrow .the box it self is this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140401621928
as i brought it as my original only had 4 mcbs and i needed to add a couple of ring mains .its a bit late tonight to rip all the netrals out so will tackle it tommorrow if the sparky isnt available

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
With respect, you could have any number of faults on the final circuits causing nuisance tripping. Unless you can use a tester to check the circuits, this could be a long drawn out affair!

Although RCD's do fail from brand new, the symptoms you describe sound like something has been wired up incorrectly rather than you having a faulty RCD.

I'd get a spark out asap if I were you. ;)

Either you have incorrectly wired something in the new consumer unit
or
the new rcd has detected an old fault somewhere in the house that was previously unnoticed
or
the new rcd is faulty.

I don't know why I keep saying new.
What possessed you to buy a secondhand used consumer unit that doesn't necessarily meet 17th edition?

As you don't have the correct testing kit to carry out the work you describe and you admit you don't know how to use the functions on the meter you do have, i think its safe to assume that you are not an electrician.

Are you aware that this kind of work is restricted, by law, to those who are 'competent'

Do you know what Ze is?
Do you know what PFC is?
Do you know how to test an RCD fully for correct operation?
How do you intend to complete the paperwork for this job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back