Hi
Problem with garage supply
I have a small consumer unit in Garage. 1x 6a and 2 x 16a MCBs
And. 63a RCD

For no obvious reason the RCD trips
I’ve isolated all circuits from CU.
I.e. removed all neutrals and internal earths and turned MCBs off

Still trips for no apparent reason

Garage is fed via 6mm twin and Earth cable from 32a mcb in main house CU. Also has a separate 6mm earth.
The mcb in the house is not RCD fed.
The rest of the house is controlled by its own RCD.

The house RCD has only ever tripped if anything in the house is a problem.

Any thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
For no obvious reason the RCD trips

Where is the RCD located, that is tripping? If it is located in the house, the feed from house to garage might be the cause.

I know you said you completely isolated everything in the garage, but all neutrals and lives need to be disconnected, to ensure none of the circuits are causing the trip, then added back one at a time, with a suitable test interval between.

I find there is a point when it time to abandon trial and error. Look for the easy things of course, water ingress etc. But at some point you need to get the meter VC60B.jpg out and test, the VC60B shown will cost around £35, if not tripping all the time you can try monitoring the leakage 1664546414596.png but either way the meters cost around the £35 mark, and for a one off job is it worth it?

That seems to point to the RCD, and a RCD tester is not cheap, I would think cheaper to replace RCD than to buy tester.

Attachments

• VC60B.jpg
    VC60B.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Clamp-meter-small.jpg
    Clamp-meter-small.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 47
Hi
The RCD is in the consumer unit in garage.
I isolated the 3 circuits to check if it was 1 of the circuits causing the problem
But with no wires connected, apart from incoming feed and extra earth, it still trips.

Sponsored Links
Hi ericmark
That’s I am now.
Would an RCD trip if there was a problem either incoming cable?

So I’ve elected to buy a new RCD.

Had a quick Google and found on the B&Q website a British General 43a device. It’s in their Clearance section priced at £2!!!
So I’m off to get one at nearest Warehouse Store

I’ll be back soon

43A is not likely. Have you spelt 63 incorrectly?

Anyway, it is the 30mA that is the important number.

Hello Flameport
It’s got the same markings as the my Hagar that is currently in situ.
For £2 it’s got to be worth a try.
Just paid for it. On my way home to fit.

Incidentally why is it obsolete?
Must still be safe or BandQ wouldn’t/ couldn’t sell it ?

Actually it has same markings as the one in the house CU.

Why have you replaced a Hager RCD with a BG RCD? Consumer units are type tested with same manufacture parts. (Unless of course BG is rebranded Hager).

Because it is readily available
It complies with same safety requirements.
It is physically compatible

Why would anyone fit Michelin tyres to a car , that left the factory on Nexen?

And there is no name on Consumer Unit housing. It contains 1 hagar RCD and 3 MCBs (2 Wylex and other). And it’s been like that for 29 years

It’s got the same markings as the my Hagar that is currently in situ. ... Incidentally why is it obsolete?
It is strictly true that the latest version of (Amendment to) the Wiring Regulations says that such a type of RCD should now rarely be used (only in certain specific situations, which would not apply in your case).

Having said that, goodness knows how many millions of them are currently in service, and probably will continue to be in service for a long time to come.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back