MK garage consumer unit tripping out

If that's the advice you believe he should follow, that's the advice you give him, not other advice as well which you don't believe he should follow.

Sponsored Links
I am a trained and practising electrician and I don't subscribe to the view that all electrical work should be outlawed. However, the original post showed a lack of basic understanding of the requirements for installing a CU.

I quoted the statement that 'the job was more or less done' in red, as it is far from true. Just because it's a DIY job, the requirements for testing CANNOT be ignored. The tests look for faults!!

If I tried to commission without testing on an annual inspection, I'd fail.
If I was on a site job, he'd be fired.

I don't know how many of the replies advising where the cables should be connected came from electricians. I would advise the OP gets an electrician to test the installation. It's cheaper than a funeral.

Just because it's a DIY job, the requirements for testing CANNOT be ignored. The tests look for faults!!
If I tried to commission without testing on an annual inspection, I'd fail.
If I was on a site job, he'd be fired.
I don't know how many of the replies advising where the cables should be connected came from electricians. I would advise the OP gets an electrician to test the installation. It's cheaper than a funeral.
I don't disagree with any of that, but I still personally think that one has to exercise pragmatism, based on a judgement as to what is likely to happen if specific advice is not given. In this case, it was my judgement, rightly or wrongly, that it was quite likley that the OP would proceed on the basis of trial and error if he was not assisted - hence my pragmatic approach.

In this case, the advice as to where the cable should be connected came from a non-electrician, but the questions to the OP which led to that advice being given came, I think, from electricians.

Kind Regards, John.

I don't disagree that he was likely to steam ahead.

Howver, given the fact he disn't grasp the requirements for fitting an RCD, I would say the only advice is to get a pro to at least check this.

Initially, he didn't have a working CU. Now it 'works' as far as he has a light in his garage. Installing a CU requires more knowledge than being able to read S****fix catalogue. We don't know anything about this job, other than he has CU fed from an old Wylex. There's nothing telling us what his supply type is, how far the garage CU is from the main CU or what cable he has used. Given it's a garage, there is a high probability he'll use the sockets to feed some outdoor kit.

I do this for a living and will only commission after a full test. That's what electricians are taught. Any electricain who doesn't test is a fool and a dangerous one at that.

Sponsored Links
I don't disagree that he was likely to steam ahead. Howver, given the fact he disn't grasp the requirements for fitting an RCD, I would say the only advice is to get a pro to at least check this.....There's nothing telling us what his supply type is, how far the garage CU is from the main CU or what cable he has used. Given it's a garage, there is a high probability he'll use the sockets to feed some outdoor kit.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Kidn Regards, John.

Wonder how good the earthing is?

Wonder is there have been any part P tests?

Wonder if the idiot is still alive after breathing his boiler fumes whilst doing all this wiring?

Wonder if he has children to pass his dumbass genes onto?

Maybe I am just tired and grumpy - again.

Tell you what, why don't you buy my LRCD210 and MIT310 off me and you can go and do them for him.

I let my tickets lapse this year 'cos I have enough to do with the gas an unvented side of things.

Need a calibration, but they are otherwise factory fresh.

Sorry, what were you saying? :rolleyes:

Thought so.. ..

Tell you what, why don't you buy my LRCD210 and MIT310 off me and you can go and do them for him.

I let my tickets lapse this year 'cos I have enough to do with the gas an unvented side of things.

Need a calibration, but they are otherwise factory fresh.

Sorry, what were you saying? :rolleyes:

Thought so.. ..

So.. What are 'Part P' tests?

Little rusty - hence the need for the kit to be calibrated.

But I would have the bonding checked from supply head to fuse board, then to the gas and water services (16mm and 10mm respectively), then your earth loop impedance, ze+zs...

This is of course assuming the whole lot is capable of the extra draw.

Want to buy this kit now? Or are you going to spend the evening trying to out belligerence me? 'cos I have had a crappy day and more than happy to.

Little rusty - hence the need for the kit to be calibrated.

But I would have the bonding checked from supply head to fuse board, then to the gas and water services (16mm and 10mm respectively), then your earth loop impedance, ze+zs...

This is of course assuming the whole lot is capable of the extra draw.

Want to buy this kit now? Or are you going to spend the evening trying to out belligerence me? 'cos I have had a crappy day and more than happy to.

Okay, so, those are 'Part P' tests are they?

I wasn't aware Part P of the Building Regulations specified testing methods. Perhaps I'm reading the wrong regulations.

Or perhaps you're just unclear on exactly what Part P and Approved Document P are.

I don't disagree that tests are needed, but I, like many others here, get fed up with people not knowing what Part P actually is.

Christ alive...

The synamtics are irrelevant; and I made no mention of how the tests were to be carried out. Merely that I have (for sale) the equipment required to carry them out.

The tests I mentioned are still required. They weren't carried out.

In the interests of balance I should point out that my tickets were for defined scope only, and for stuff like this I would just get my regular sparks in where needed. Like I said I have enough qualifications to make Part P defined scope an unnecessary PITA.

In respect of what?

What do you mean, in respect of?

Part P1 of Schedule 1 of the Building Regulations 2010 says:
Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

That's Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back