MK garage consumer unit tripping out

It also says

ISBN 1-859462-23-5 on one of my copies. Another one says ISBN 0-11-753917-1. I fail to see your point.

I have a document that is 49 pages long. Did you want me to transcribe the whole lot? That's what it says. Did you want me to list the work that is not notifiable?

You little snippet is similar to what we have under the GSIU 1998 regs

No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

Doesn't stop idiots building garages over their flue terminals though?

Sponsored Links
It also says

ISBN 1-859462-23-5 on one of my copies. Another one says ISBN 0-11-753917-1. I fail to see your point.

I have a document that is 49 pages long. Did you want me to transcribe the whole lot? That's what it says. Did you want me to list the work that is not notifiable?

That's not Part P of the Building Regulations. That is Approved Document P. These are two different things, and your inability to grasp that is my point.

There is no such thing as 'Part P tests'. There is no such thing as a 'Part P qualification', or 'Part P defined scope'.

Well the front cover actually has:

The building regulations 2000

electrical safety - dwellings.

Approved document P

P1 design and installation of electrical installations.

You can argue all you like over the semantics of my initial remark, but it still does not eliminate the need for the tests outlined in BS7671 the sample forms of which are printed in Approved document P as you obviously know.

Sponsored Links
Well the front cover actually has:

The building regulations 2000

electrical safety - dwellings.

Approved document P

P1 design and installation of electrical installations.

Yes, that is Approved Document P of the Building Regulations. Not Schedule 1, Part P of the Building Regulations. I happen to have a copy here myself.

You can argue all you like over the semantics of my initial remark, but it still does not eliminate the need for the tests outlined in BS7671 the sample forms of which are printed in Approved document P as you obliviously know.

You mean the incorrect, misleading, and confusing remark? I certainly can. And at no point did I claim testing is not required, typically in accordance with BS7671, as Approved Document P recommends.

But the requirement of the tests was the whole point; you getting a Bee up your backside over whether or not I reference a BS or Building Regulation is quite amusing. I can almost hear your adenoid problem from here.

The over arching point is still just as valid as well you know.

Anyone using the fruits of OP's little project, if the boiler fumes don't get them first, are at serious risk of injury.

But it is apparent you have other priorities.

I am very happy for you.

But I would have the bonding checked from supply head to fuse board,
Why does the fuse board need bonding?

Is it an extraneous-conductive-part for some reason?

then to the gas and water services (16mm and 10mm respectively),
Why does the gas service need a larger size than the water?

Or are you going to spend the evening trying to out belligerence me?
So you admit you're being belligerent.

Quite right.. 10mm is fine for the gas meter also. However, this is a fairly recent change IIRC - it certainly was 16mm when I was first qualified. I still call a tightness test a soundness test. Still essentially the same procedure. A16mm earth still needs to come from the main earth terminal to the consumer unit though. Earth bonding to Fuse board? - meh... It will need an earth. Like I said. Rusty... Semantics.... Seems to wind you up so I'll go with it.

Belligerent? Apparently so; but it appears I am not the only one. Otherwise we wouldn't still be here.

And you can rearrange quotes all you like. Still doesn't detract from the requirement to have tests made on the installation to prove its safety. These tests are all part of the BS and building regulations whether you like it or not.

I am not really bothered by your opinions, merely amazed that the OP has done what he has done, both in work covered by your field as an electrician (I presume you are one and not just some random smart-ass); and mine, as a registered gas installer. Who happens to have been bothered to sit electrical qualifications to enable me to work safely and legally. Which is a lot more than most in my profession I'm sure you'll admit.

Anyway, I take it you don't want to buy my pair of Megger testers?

Like I said. Rusty... The meaning of what I wrote....

These tests are all part of the BS and building regulations whether you like it or not.
Testing is not an explicit requirement in the Building Regulations.

It used to be, but it was removed by S.I. 652 in 2006. (See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/652/regulation/20/made )

Anyway, I take it you don't want to buy my pair of Megger testers?
I'll give you £100 for them.

I am not really bothered by your opinions, merely amazed that the OP has done what he has done, both in work covered by your field as an electrician (I presume you are one and not just some random smart-ass); and mine, as a registered gas installer. Who happens to have been bothered to sit electrical qualifications to enable me to work safely and legally. Which is a lot more than most in my profession I'm sure you'll admit
why would a registered gasfitter decide to do a 3 year apprenticeship to become a electrician or did you do a 5 day wonder course which according to the able skills website :-
This Part P course is not designed to teach domestic installations, it is designed to assess your ability to undertake such work safely
so despite all the bluff its a nonsense qualification and means your no more than a glorified diy'er when carrying out electrical work abeit one that can fill out a test sheet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back