Rcd v Mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help resolve a dispute between the advisor at my local B & Q depot and myself.

Please can someone explain the difference between a RCD (Residual Current Device) spur and a MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) spur. As I think they basically perform the same job (cut off the supply).

And can someone please explain how many watts equal a kw.

I need to get my facts wright before I can go back to the depot and think of myself as a Sparky.

Sponsored Links
1000w = 1kW

RCD cuts off in the event of a fault, eg someone touching a live wire. MCD acts more like a fuse, and prevents overload.

Go easy on the guys in B&Q......they kind of know..but a little out of practice....and mainly advise in basic DIY electrics...

RCD Protects Under Fault Conditions.
MCB Protects From Over-current.

Rcd will cut the supply in the event of an earth fault. Three types: 10ma 30ma(most common) and 100ma

as Chris said an mcb protects in the event of overload or short circuit
they come in three types: b, c & d which have different tripping times and characteristics

Sponsored Links
The MCB will protect from a short circuit or an overload but it has not been mentioned yet the fact that it will also provide protection against an earth fault.

RCD's are generally installed as a means of supplemetary protection from indirect contact and not the sole means.

It's also worth noting that the operation of an MCB relies on the provision and integrety of an earth conductor, except under short circuit conditions.

An RCD requires no earth conductor to cause the protective device to operate.

Thanks for the info lads.

But to be honest I've gone along and done the best thing! yes you guessed it, I've taken my custom to Homebase where the peeps said exactly the same as you lads.

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back