RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer unit does not offer adequate protection or RCD; I need to install an RCD for protection of the shower circuit, can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is involved?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if it has MCB's and 2 spare slots, you could make it split load. if not, then get a mini-CU for the shower. or have an RCD external from the CU

Sponsored Links
I've now bought a 63A RCD for the shower circuit, and have 2 spares on the cu.The size of the rcd takes two spaces but i've noticed it has a live and neutral terminal on the bottom where the live rail runs ? and also both these terminals on the top.How then is this unit connected up?

Your help will be much appreciated,

Cheers again!

Unless its specifically designed to go in that make of CU, it is unlikly to fit the live rail, you really need it in a separate mini-cu box at one end or the other of the exsting box with cable in and out (and wired like any other L-N double pole switch - look at the incomer for inspiration, but don't touch)
Consumer unints that have been designed to take an RCD as part of a split load conversion, have a gap in the live bar, and a length of something suitably bosky to bring the neutral to where it is needed. A single width RCBO usually has a double decker contact that puts the neutral either in front of or behind the live bar. Some makes have heavy captive tails.
Unless approved by the CU makers please resist the temptation to take a hacksaw to the live bar to make the RCD fit - although this can be made to work it is not recommended as carelessly performed you can remove the integrity of the CU in terms of accidentally exposing live parts, or weakening the case resistance to impact or any number of other potentially dangerous oversights, or indeed just @#$%^ up and cut too much metal off leaving a contact that overheats.
Remermber that an RCD doesn't generally provide overcurrent protection, so the live needs to go via an MCB before reaching the RCD input side- the company fuse alone is not really enough.
Hope this all makes sense -come back if not, before burning your fingers.

i thought most brands required you to take a hacksaw to the live bar when building a split load arrangement.

and you will have to cut the bussbar to put any other devices in the cu (which most makers sell as being suitable for putting in thier CUs)

a few brands do use bussbar designs that shouldn't be cut though. Generally if the busbar is just a plain metal bar with fingers it should be fine to cut it otherwise don't (and make sure you don't damage anything else when cutting it its probablly better to take it out of the CU before starting.

plugwash said:
i thought most brands required you to take a hacksaw to the live bar when building a split load arrangement.
Adjustable ones, yes.

But it really is not a good idea to try and modify a CU that was never designed to be a split-load. There will only be one neutral bar for a start, and also you would have to get hold of some suitable cable to link the incomer to the RCD.

And it would invalidate the CE approval of the CU.

notsobritespark - as I said in reply to your other thread (which you should not have started, BTW), you've not bought the right thing.

PLAN C: Buy a small enclosure with space for the RCD, and an appropriate MCB for the existing CU. Put the MCB in, take the cable (appropriately sized) from the CU to the RCD and then to the shower.

PLAN B: Get an electrician, as I fear your lack of knowledge about RCDs, MCBs, CU wiring etc might indicate lack of ability to do this safely, and you don't want to **** up with a shower circuit...

not sure if this is the same. can i just run a 10mm cable from the 50A MCB in my CU (as if it was to circuit), run that to a small CU with a RCD and 2 MCB's, one 50A and one 10A, and then run two seperate radials to the two sepeate items (one jacussi, and one shower) from each mcb? :eek:

as long as the combined loading from the two appliances in the small CU is low enough for the 50A breaker in the main CU theres nothing wrong with doing that.

10.8kw shower (45A)
and jacuzzi... told that it runs at 3A with upto 4A at start up.
so thats 49A.. and only if the bath is started at the same time the shower is used. so thats unlikely

would 10mm cable between the two CU's be ok? max 1mm run. clipped to surface

i presume you meant 1m not 1mm ;)

yes 10mm cable will be fine

Cheers for the advice fellas.I've now bought a seperate enclosure for the rcd unit.The cu already has an mcb for the shower and cable in place.I am,however,not sure what distance i'm allowed to have it from the cu(as there's no room to mount it next to it!) and unsure how to run the earth,seeing as the rcd has no terminal for it,could i use a connecting block for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back