10.5kw shower installation (seperate RCD needed?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 10.5kw electric shower to install, i was just wondering if i need to install a seperate RCD in the circuit as my house was only re-wired 2 years ago and i had a new consumer unit fitted that says it is RCD protected.
I know how to wire it all up i was just wondering if it needed a sperate RCD in the circuit that is not part of the consumer unit.
It is a HAGER consumer unit, and as far as i can see the main 100amp CB is an incorporated RCD. (well thats what the label on the unit says)
any advice will be welcome thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is a Part P Notifiable job.

You don't need a separate RCD for the shower circuit here.

If you mean that the main switch is an RCD, then it should have a test button on it that you are supposed to press at least every three months.

If you do this, and the power to the shower goes off, then it is protected and you do not need another.

It is more usual to have the RCD protecting only part of the installation though - so the lights don't go off if your kettle blows up, for example. This is called a "split load" arrangement and you should be able to see which circuits are protected (they are often marked in green on the consumer unit). They will usually be the socket circuits and any garden or outdoor circuits such as a shed.

If you are in a country district with an overhead supply you are more likely to have the whole installation protected, though the sensitivity of the RCD may be lower. it might be 100mA instead of 30mA Go and write down what the RCD has printed on it and we'll see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back