RCD'S ON BATHROOM FANS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted an extractor fan in a bathroom.I have to incorporate an RCD in the circuit. i have supplied a permanent live directly to the fan and have run a live neutral and earth via a 3 amp fused spur to the fan.The mains feed to the spur comes from the lighting circuit.The permanent live comes from the lightfitting.where does the RCD get incorporated in the supply to comply with regs?

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
that's a bad way to wire a fan..

you have a permanent live at the fan that's still live when you pull the fuse.

you don't need to fuse down since a lighting circuit should be fused to 6A anyway, and certainly no more than 10A

you do need to fit a 3 pole fan isolator though, so that you can isolate the fan for repair or maintainence.

the RCD would go into the feed to the lighting circuit in this instance..

you also sound like you've wired the fan wrong.. the permanent live comes from the lighting circuit feed, and the switched live from the light fitting..

As has already been said, permanent live from lighting circuit, switched live from light fitting, both through a 3 pole isolator, that will therefore disconnect both lives and the neutral from the fan (obviously don't switch the earth).

Also note that in England and Wales this work is notifiable under Part P since it is in a bathroom, so you should have notified the LABC before carrying out any work. If you haven't done so, you probably should asap...

The RCD would need to go in before the supply to the light in order for it to work properly.

Sponsored Links
Just as well you came to this forum... Would probably be me the next poor electrician turning the spur off and still getting a wack off the PL!

Assuming either surface or Ali-tube wiring then changing the fused spur for an RCD fused spur would likely be way forward. However if the cables also need RCD protection than you may have to change the MCB in consumer unit for RBCO or if old consumer unit mount alongside.

But all these options are far easier to work out when one can see the job. Why not ask the LABC or who ever is doing the Part P for advice?

Maybe it can be fitted in loft. It is so easy remote to make a mistake. Fitting a fan in a bathroom can for example be controlled with a humidity switch but where there is a loo in the bathroom then normally switched on with lights and so many people forget to say there is also a loo.

What is not plain is have you run two lines one permanent line and one switched? Or is there just a permanent line. I would assume the latter? To use a fused spur with two supplies than normally one needs to replace the switch with a two pole model.

Part P notification.... The law says
"special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."
Bathroom is not specifically mentioned...
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:statutory_instrument

What if the extractor unit (using air ducting) is placed outside of any 'relevant zone', in loft for example and wiring is taken from a junction box serving bathroom light, similarly outside of zones ?
Notify or not?
-0-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back