Re-designing an old attic room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a flat in a old building which has an attic and I have been told that it does not meet the standards now needed to class it as a bedroom. It has it's own stair way although it does turn sharply at the top and anyone reasonable tall has to stoop slightly. It is at least 8 foot high with a 4 foot section running the full length of the room in the middle. The sides then slope with the shape of the roof ending with a two foot high wall both sides. It has always been used as a bedroom and has its own window and door. Can anyone please advise as to where I can find the necessary rules and regulation I need to bring it up to date and be used as a room as I intend rent out the property. Thanks :idea:

Sponsored Links
Have a look at this site http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/ you should find all the info you need. Prepare yourself for the worst and you won't be dissapointed!!!! For a loft room to comply to regs (depending on where you are in the country) you will need : re-inforced joists usually between steels (rsj) Fire doors throughout, improved ceiling fire protection i.e fireboard, Smoke alarm/detectors, upgraded insulation between roof rafters .... And much more!!! The best thing to do is ring your local building control office, they are usually very helpful and will tell you exactly what you will need to do to comply - but as you would like to rent it out they will ask a lot of you.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back