Re-Enammelling a Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone on this forum done this?

I was wondering what the results are like?

I have an enamel bath which is about 50 years old. I was going to replace it but the width of the bath is a mere 650mm. The bathroom measurements won't allow for anything bigger.

Many thanks for any feed back on re-enamelling as a DIYer or getting a company in.

Sponsored Links
It is not possible to re-enamel a bath without the proper facilities & can't be done on site. And when I looked into having a similar old bath re-done it was exorbitantly expensive.
You can however get them spray painted ( The bath doctor or some such company) or even DIY it as I have done myself over the last few years. There is also a firm that sells kits that allow you to roller the paint on after proper preparation http://www.tubbyuk.com/product-cate...W-97qbuP8LNDFq76PPROL5cI6BEbbs6qrRoCN6rw_wcB. I've heard they do quite a good job but not as good a finish as spraying. You must of course accept that you are going to have to redo it every 3 years if the bath is used on a daily basis.
If you do go for re enameling then obviously you virtually have a new bath.

Been there done both things.

When we had the house completely renovated 20 odd years ago, we had the old Edwardian, huge, ball and claw feet bath taken out and taken to a proper re-enameler, It wasn't cheap, but in the context of the total bill for the renovation work, it wasn't overly expensive.

It lasted about 10 years of pretty constant use with a family of 5, but then started to deteriorate, and once it started it went downhill very quickly.

As I didn't want to take the bath out and have it redone - taking a huge, cast iron bath down the stairs and out of the front door is not a task to be undertaken lightly - I decided to get it sprayed in situ.

It looked good once finished, but within months was looking tatty again, we put up with it for a couple of years, but then it had to go. Large sledge hammer, ear defenders, rigger gloves and an hour of physical violence it was in the back of the car on its way down the tip.

Sponsored Links
Seen a bath re-enamelled in situ and looked amazing, not cheap at £300 and that was quite a few years ago.
http://www.thebathbusiness.co.uk/bath-resurfacing-services/bath-re-enamelling/[/QUOTE] Yes they do look amazing when first done but it is just 2 pack cellulose paint that is used, the same as they used to use on cars. If you treated a car body the same as you do a bath then the finish would degrade as quickly as it does on baths. Proper re-enamelling is in the £700 to £900 range :)

Seen a bath re-enamelled in situ and looked amazing, not cheap at £300 and that was quite a few years ago.
http://www.thebathbusiness.co.uk/bath-resurfacing-services/bath-re-enamelling/[/QUOTE] Yes they do look amazing when first done but it is just 2 pack cellulose paint that is used, the same as they used to use on cars. If you treated a car body the same as you do a bath then the finish would degrade as quickly as it does on baths. Proper re-enamelling is in the £700 to £900 range :)
Not cellulose, enamel.

Not cellulose, enamel.
Taken from your link "If a bath company says they are going to enamel your bath or even re-enamel your bath in situ or in a workshop then they mean they will be putting a new surface on your bath. It will not be vitreous enamel." If you mean enamel paint, then there really isn't much difference between the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back