Re ensuite (pipes through joists?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are looking at completing an ensuite in the top floor bedroom, the house is a victorian property and i have taken the floor boards up in the section were the ensuite is and i am going to plywood the area and then it will be boarded again for the tiling of the floor. The joists are 7" x 2" and they are running the right way for the toilet waste and should be enough fall under the floor so wont have to box it in above floor level. However the joists are running the wrong way for the shower waste and sink whicg will be at the other side of the room. I think that the shower waste will have to come though the joists, not notched but drilled through the joists. I am thinking is this okay and to be sure is it worth putting noggings in the floor joists whilst the floor is up and anything else i could do or will this suffice. I understand about how much you can drill out of joists etc but just wanted opinions as i have seen alot smaller joists in new builds with a hell of alot of pipes etc going through them.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
tecnicaly you can NOT drill a 44mm diameter hole for waste through more than 2 joists as they need to be central ;)
they should also be away from the wall or centre span

what centres are your joists at and what span are they !!

Hi,
The joists are about 14ft long and they run from the back of the house into around the middle of the room and they are then attached to the side of joists the same size that run to the front of the house. The joists are spaced at around 2ft intervals so there are quite alot in the floor space. As i say for the toilet waste they run the correct way so i can run the waste for that along the joist and out the back, they dont for the shower waste and sink. could i join the sink waste to the shower and then run it through the joists, i dont have to run it though them all but it will be about 5 of them to get to the toilet waste and out. The only other option i can see is run the shower and sink also along the joists and come out the back also but this will mean coming out opposite end of the house to the toilet waste, approx 4m away. Because there is a window just below were the sink waste etc would come out my option would be to drop the waste vertical in the corner of the wall outside and then run it at an angle below the window, would this be okay distance wise. I assume with a vertical drop the distance would be okay as i would have ample fall etc.
I hope this make sense and thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back