New floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of taking up the old floor boards in our house thats having a complete gut top to bottom and extensions, im fitting new chipboard flooring all through the house but the problem i have come across is the joist spacings arnt correct for 2400mm boards, is the best way to make this work to fit noggings inbetween the joist for the board to sit on where it over lays the joist?

Hope this makes sense to people.

Cheers
Joel

Sponsored Links
but if i was to cut the boards down i would loose the tounge and grove as i looked at cutting the first board which is next to the wall so done need the joint there but the next board would work neither so this is why i thought of putting in some supports between the joists so the join of the boards had somthing to rest on, i am d4 glueing them and nailing them with ring nails from gun

Sponsored Links
If you make sure you stagger your boards the T&G of the other boards will offer support, you can screw or ringnail and glue at the joint for extra fixing strengths.
Installing additional noggins will be time consuming and unless you fix them secure, at intervals of around every 150-200mm will not really offer any added benefits.
It will be best to workout where the area is going to be most walked on, try get you T&G joint/joints in that area if practically possible, so measuring fro centre out will be a good starting places.
This will leave the cut joint areas less likely to come under any undue stress, that could cause them to fail and start to creek and move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back