suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys hope someone can advise me. I have put up my extension and have gone for suspended wooden floor Ie joists and boards. On the side part of my extension i am going to run the joists at 90 degress to the exsisting house joists attach the new joists to the exsisting using joist hangers? and then rebrick up above them. The wall above where the new joists are going to meet the exsisting joists is staying. the other end of the joist im will be building a sleeper wall for it to sit on
Hope this all makes sense and hope someone can make any suggestions if im going down the wrong route
Thanks
keith

Sponsored Links
keith - what do you mean: "... and then rebrick up above them."? You don't mean you're going to lay bricks ON the new floor, do you?

no where the new joists go through the exsisting wall to meet the exsisting joists ill have to brick back up on top of them is that right ?

keith - I'm still confused (tired, up late last night :oops: ) ... have you 'punched' holes through the existing wall for the new joists and just want to fill-in by bricking around the new joists, or you have to re-build the wall?

Sponsored Links
hi yes that s what i intend to do punch holes through to link up with exsisting joists is this ok to do this. and can i just attach the new joists to the exsiting using joist hangers . They will be running at right angles to the exsisting joists.
Sorry if im crap at explaining things wish i could post a picture would be a lot easier but thanks for your help anyway

keith - why bother punching the holes, can't you use joist hangers at both ends? I suppose the only advantage (??) of running joists through the wall would be to ensure they'll be level with the existing but proper levelling (spirit/laser/etc) would acheive this for less disruption. Also consider the timber/masonry interface has implications for damp proof membranes; not so much a problem when using hangers. In the past it was standard practice to support joist ends in pockets in the masonary, the resulting water damage (rot) kept many a chippy (and Damp Proofing firm) in business for years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back