Re-fitting cistern onto WC pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to decouple my cistern from the WC pan to fix a leak. The connection holding the cistern onto the pan was made by 2 bolts going through the bottom of the cistern into the pan. The end of the bolts either had a nut or some other type of fixing but this is now lost forever as it was not possible to undo the bolt and retain this. Hope that makes sense? - essentially the bolt that goes into the WC pan enters through a hole about 1cm diameter.

My problem is now reassembly as I need to find some kind of expanding fixing that can be used at the end of the bolt so I can:

1) insert the bolt through the cistern and use the rubber seal connector to make the cistern water-tight
2) put a nut on the bolt and screw up so this is tight onto the bottom of the cistern (using a washer)
3) attach some kind of fixing onto the end of the bolt and lift the cistern with bolts sticking out the bottom (x2) onto the WC pan
4) turn the bolt from the cistern so it makes a firm connection between the cistern and the WC pan.

My question is what kind of fixing do I use that goes into the WC pan?

I posted this on another forum and was advised to speak to a local plumbers' merchant - unfortunately I'm not around during the day so would like to get some further advice.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Worst case, I think I can remove the WC pan from the floor and then access the bottom of the bolt from the rear of the WC pan but this will involve quite a bit more work so would prefer to avoid if poss.

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back