RE: Info on new rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell me if I build an extension of 5m (due to new permitted development rule) instead of a 4m one that I have permission to build, would I be likely to get a completion cert or could they make me knock it down and how likely would that be? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't just build it out 5m. You have to go through the prior approval scheme first, which involves consultation with your neighbours.
In essence, if they don't object, your project can go ahead, but the process take around 42 days.

Thanks Tony for reply. I thought the whole idea of permitted development was that the neighbours couldn't object? Is it part of the new changes that the neighbours now have this opportunity?

The idea of PD is that someone can build a modest extension with little impact on the neighbours to make them want to object

Something like an 8m extension could have much more impact, and so neighbours may want to comment

Anyway, the new rules are not PD, more of a half way/half-baked muddle

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony for reply. I thought the whole idea of permitted development was that the neighbours couldn't object? Is it part of the new changes that the neighbours now have this opportunity?

It isn't like normal permitted development; it's a 'half-way' house where, in return for the chance of a larger extension, your neighbour has a chance to object. So keep on good terms!
If the neighbour objects to 5m, you can still put in a normal planning application.

Or play it safe(r) and go for a 4m deep extension, where the neighbour cannot object on planning grounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back