re-installing victorian fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting on re-installing a victorian fireplace (will be a working fire) and started pulling plaster off. There was a gas fire fitted sometime in the 60's I guess. The original hole has been built up with breize blocks & I was expecting to find a lintel of some sort, or a brick arch, above however it just seems to be the row of bricks without any real support apart from the breize blocks. Whats the next step? please see pics in my album (sorry I cant work out how to upload to this post)

Sponsored Links
In terms of efficiency the old victorian fires are an abomination 10% efficient when theyr'e burning with coal, 0% if burning wood and negative efficiency when they're not burning but the draught up the flue is vacuuming the heat out of your house. Use a victorian fire surround with a multifuel stove in the empty inglenook opening.
Our large Victorian house went from an ice box to a snug overnight when we binned the open fire in favour of a stove.

Take a bit more plaster off. Might be higher up.

Don't forget, you can cut the hole but putting a working fire in is building regs notifiable.

Sponsored Links
nick. I've looked up the inside & there's no lintel i can see. So this basically means that the support is coming from the breize blocks that have been put in? right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back