Re isolation switches :?:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll slow down soon...

What's the experience of people who have asked their supplier to come and fit an isolation switch immediately after the meter?

Do they ask why?

If they do and you say "it's so I can richard around with my consumer unit, of course", do they say "OK"?

Surely from their POV you closing that switch after you've finished your work is connecting to their supply. Yes, in a much safer way than pulling the 100A fuse yourself, or connecting to hot meter tails, but wouldn't they still want to inspect whatever you'd done before allowing you to close that switch?

Sponsored Links
In the East Midlands I said I wanted to replace the CU and they said OK and sent me the form that electricians use to request an isolator. I filled it in, they fitted it.
In Bridgnorth, Shropshire it took many phone calls to find who to talk to which was finally a bit of NPower. I said I was rewiring, they said OK, they'll send a man out to fit an isolator. He is due next week but plans are changing and we may have the meter moved outside (I guess this is not a DIY job!). I'll update when it's happened. :)

Oh well - I'll give ot a try. I used to be on Southern Electricity, but now it's B.Gas. It'll probably end up being done by SEC services, that well known bunch of low-cost philantropists.

I did think about doing it myself, but unless I want to pull the main fuse, or work with wiggly live wires, I'd have to do what I did when I replaced my CU, and wire it into a service connector block - I figured that with care I could safely introduce a cable to a rigid, fixed bar that was live. And I was right :D

But if I did that I'd have

[METER] - [SCB] - [SWITCH] - [SCB] - [CONSUMER UNITS]

Doesn't seem like a Good Idea....

sharpspark -id be etrernally grateful if youd divulge the dept you finally found for this purpose-I need to do just this.
I have tried countless emails to npower customer services and have yet to get any response.

Sponsored Links
I contacted B.G. via e-mail regarding this, their reply was to "employ a qualified electrician to do the work and that I didn't need to contact the actual power company", in other words, they're not interested.
I've e-mailed them back and told them our previous supplier was going to do it for free until we changed over (What you mean liar ??). I'll let you know their response (Flip off I expect !!).

Sorry for delay, been away. The isolator switch in Bridgnorth property has now been fitted, I don't believe that any charge has been involved but am checking. The NPower phone number for the department concerned is 0191 210 7077. I don't know whether thius is regional or not. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back