Re-laying Quarry Tiles in Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I needed to pull up some quarry tiles (10 or 11) that run alongside the skirting board in my hallway. Having pulled them up (some have broken), I've noticed that they've been laid on what I think is pure sand. (The property is a mid 1920s Wimpey no-fines house.)

All I want is to re-lay these tiles - I've not got the time or spare money (I have a few other jobs on the go) to get them taken up and replaced with a concrete base.

I've tried to re-laying them on the existing sand but it doesn't seem to be giving me a solid enough base as the tiles move and become uneven.

Being curious, before trying to re-laying the tiles, I dug a small channel as deep as I could and found the sand was about two inches deep. Then it hit, what I think, is a concrete(?) base. (It might be really compacted sand but a plastic trowel wouldn't dent it and it sounded solid when hit.)

My question is, could I fill the channel with some lime mortar (leftover from another job!) and lay the tiles on top of that? I just worry about using concrete and it causing damp issues.

Any advice would be very welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Use the traditional 'thick-bed' method.
1. dig out to the concrete.
2. make a semi-dry mix of sand:cement 3:1 and fill the gap with that.
3. tamp it well down with a small block of wood so that the top is approximately level with the surface of the existing tiles.
4. sprinkle some neat cement on top of the compacted mix.
5. wet each quarry by dipping in a bucket, put in position and carefully tamp down with a hammer shaft until level with the existing quarries, and firm.
6. Don't disturb, and allow to harden for a day or so.

Use the traditional 'thick-bed' method.
1. dig out to the concrete.
2. make a semi-dry mix of sand:cement 3:1 and fill the gap with that.
3. tamp it well down with a small block of wood so that the top is approximately level with the surface of the existing tiles.
4. sprinkle some neat cement on top of the compacted mix.
5. wet each quarry by dipping in a bucket, put in position and carefully tamp down with a hammer shaft until level with the existing quarries, and firm.
6. Don't disturb, and allow to harden for a day or so.
Thanks, that's great advice tony1851, it's much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hijack this thread...

Is this method, the way to go, to lay a thick (50mm) quarry tile floor to a concrete slab?

What would be the best way to grout said tiles, bearing in mind the thickness?

TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back