Re-Painting Cast Iron BBQ Grates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a gas bbq, with 2 plates on. A flat griddle type and a grill type. Both are heavy and black- but after 10 years of use are going rusty and don't look the best to cook on.

I've tried to find paint for repainting these- I seem to be able to find heat resistant paint, but nothing that says that it is food safe.

Do you think I can just use Hammerite? Presumably, it only becomes unsafe if it starts flaking? or would toxic fumes be given off at high temperatures?

Sponsored Links
I think I would stick with the rust myself and a bit of elbow grease with the brillo to remove any heavy deposits.;)
The only thing I can think of would be a proper (not painted) enamel coating like the gas cooker pan supports but I doubt there are that many small firms that would take on a small one off these days.

As Footprints says - back in the day a cast iron flat grill top was on every Rayburn - and it was a treat to have scotch ? pancakes cooked straight on it;) That bit of rust'll do you no harm, paint of any sort will. And you've got to eat a peck ( an old measure ) of dirt before you die.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back