which paint on cast iron guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
which paint shall we use on the new, expensive, heavy, un-yeilding cast iron guttering we are about to install?

Must be white:

Dulux weathershield oil-based, or Hammerite, or what?
I want it to last as long as poss.

Thanks.
Carey

Sponsored Links
I am building my own house, and I am embarrassed to say it has taken me more years than I want to admit to as still not moved in yet, but 6 years ago I installed a mix of reclaimed and new caste iron guttering and down pipes and had to decide what paint. I went for Hammerite, and I am please to say it looks as good today as it did when I painted it.

Sponsored Links
Why not install plastic caste iron effect .

Maybe it is for environmental reasons?
To make plastic you need crude oil and the process releases carbons.
I am not fanatical, as I do use plastic on a day to day basis, but feel we all need reduce what we use and my personal way is use no plastic building products where reclaimed or wood/metal will do.
And as for guttering, my caste metal does not groan and creak with solar expansion as does plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back