Leaking Cast Iron Guttering Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our cast iron guttering is leaking in a few places -

We have tried using gutter repair sealant which has helped but it is not a waterlight seal - We have also used black duct tape on the inside of the gutter as well but the leak still exists

Is there anything else we can use - Something like lead sheets for example?

Sponsored Links
Angle grind off the bolt, remove apart leaking joint and clean out fitting. Supply new silicone/putty to joint, refit together and fit new nut and bolt. Apply paint after 24hrs.

Andy

Go to car body supplies shop, get some seam sealer. Break and clean joint, insert sealer and bolt up. You can get a butyl strip to do the same, but seam sealer works perfectly.

Go to car body supplies shop, get some seam sealer. Break and clean joint, insert sealer and bolt up. You can get a butyl strip to do the same, but seam sealer works perfectly.

Thanks guys - Just to be clear - This is not at joint area - This is within the actual cast iron pipework - It looks like the size of a penny piece which we puttyd over

Is the seam sealer still suitable?

Sponsored Links

Thanks guys - Just to be clear - This is not at joint area - This is within the actual cast iron pipework - It looks like the size of a penny piece which we puttyd over

Is the seam sealer still suitable?

What I am thinking of doing is painting the inside and outside with a bitumen paint and then painitng with gloss paint - Would this work?

Normally cast iron gutters leak from the joints, to have a hole like you say is very strange. They can also crack the length of the gutter.

You could try a repair patch over the hole and cover with bitumen.

Andy

[
What I am thinking of doing is painting the inside and outside with a bitumen paint and then painting with gloss paint - Would this work?
NO :!: Nothing will go over bitumen paint - only more bitumen . Bitu inside only ;) ( first job I had working with my old dad - you gotta start somewhere) Bitu outside will shine for a month then be dull black forever . You got a hole in the gutter ( you said pipe :confused: ) I suggest making a bolted repair with 2 large washers - 1 inside the gutter + 1 outside - hole thru` the middle and a roofing bolt to hold together - that with some of the seam sealer will hold up - I would actually use 2 old pennies ( as in £.s .d ) and a brass screw and nut - because I`ve got a stash of old d`s for my antique fruit machine :LOL: And the copper and brass will not decay

Only a suggestion, but by the time a length of CI gutter has rusted thro then that piece and possibly the whole of the CI guttering and fittings might need replacing.

My limited experience is that all patching tape and compounds will lift after a winter and a summer. Any bolt-on washer will eventually create a dam of sorts and create other difficulties.

For connecting at CI fittings, we gloss paint the male and female and when it tacks, apply a mix of putty and paint, bolt it down and smooth off any lip.

OP, you appear to be a DIY'er, so take extreme care if you attempt to lift and shift CI guttering - its weight and awkwardness will always surprise you. Typically, a two tied-in ladders, two person job.

Damn me Dann , a penny and a roofing bolt won`t be more obstructive than a few leaves/debris . And a damned sight cheaper than a new length of CI or ali gutter ;) Fair point about the rest being shot though. And the weight issue .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back