Attach PVC gutter to cast iron rafter brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question but I cant really find a simple answer,

Cast Iron guttering on one side of house is knackered, cracked in places, leaking in joints.
Is there any way to replace the full 25m with pvc guttering, but using the same brackets.

Sponsored Links
Doubt you'll be able to snap guttering into the old brackets bound to be differing sizes... at a guess.

Why not just replace the brackets?

look into aluminium gutter - powder coated black - that should lie in the old brackets. - not cheap tho' About £10 a foot..just a bit more than a gallon of petrol ;) might be available cheaper

Last edited:
Cast gutter brackets Will not hold & secure the new pvc gutters.
Sometimes the cast brackets snap off if you bend back n forward. Or cut them with 4 1/2" grinder.
Screw 2 new gutter clips both ends of facia. 1 either side & run a string line from them both, then fit all the other clips. 1 clip every 500mm, making sure you create a slight fall towards the downpipe. Check with a level to get a slight fall.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the problem isn't really the brackets- quite likely there's no facia board (if it's a 1900 area build). If OP is really unlucky the brickwork where said board would go will either be loose or corbelled (so just sticking a board up isn't an option).
Pics would help- there's always a way out :)

What about fitting rise and fall brackets, can be drilled and held in with a squirt of resin.

Absolutely correct, no fascia board, Its a rubble built (stone) house from 1870 so ideally no fascia board.
Its only one face of the house, circa 25 m - I've spent 4 years building an extension so i was really hoping for no more jobs outwith the garden landscaping :(

Thanks for your feedback by the way.

I've done all the guttering around the extension (its massive) so I'm well used to running pvc - not an option without fascia board though :(
I'm groaning at the though of a biggish job

How solid are the old iron brackets and what's the spacing and fall on the run like?
There are various shoddy solutions leap to mind;
If there are enough iron brackets to support the pvc (it sags more than metal so possibly not) cut the upstands off the brackets, loosely cabletie pvc clips to the horizontals, clip gutter in, tighten cable ties.
A less shoddy option might be the replica cast iron guttering you can get (it's some sort of fibre reinforced plastic). Chuck that into the existing brackets, big cableties over the top to hold it in place, done. Stuff is pricey but looks rather good

It can be a challenge to replace a cracked cast iron guttering with a PVC guttering using the same brackets. I suggest you contact a licenced professional and ask if it's possible. Online, I saw this roofers based service that can handle any roof issues and when I had the same problem with you, I was able to have it solved. I suggest you start looking for the best roofers now to help you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back