re-point the 8m gable on DIY scaffolding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thought I would introduce my self here, as I could do with some advice.
Anyway in this picture + some more in my album, I'm re-point my gable end because it was falling down due to bad water penetration then freezing.
I didn't have the cash to hire scaffolding. So it was me, my trowel and a bucket of muck.

Sponsored Links
Seeing this photo makes me think the work I started on my barn roof yesterday was relatively safe!
One end of my barn has had the roof extended at some point so that the overhang would cover a basket weave structure for storing stripped corn cobs. Here in Hungary these cobs are stored in a ventilated structure to dry out for animal feed. The whole thing was in poor condition and I started breaking up the basket part for kindling some time ago. A few weeks ago one of the roof timbers broke, a couple of tiles fell and about 10 or so tiles looked ready to fall at any minute. I have now removed the basket woven structure but still have the very rotten wooden framework which surrounded it. I started stripping tiles ready to repair the damaged area and remove the extended part yesterday. Initially I had the ladder leaned against the strongest looking parts of the wood framework, which turned out to be much firmer than it looked. Even if I had been using scaffolding the risk of falling tiles would have been unavoidable.

Sponsored Links
I asked a roofer (many years ago) why it was so expensive to change 1 roof tile near the ridge on a house.

His reply was 'If I fall from that height, I will never get up again'

I then shut up.

Andy

Looking at the pic, is that purple robe perhaps tied off down below, passing over the top of the ladder and then round him?

just in case :)

There's a gas fitter locally who has a large cherry picker on the back of a lorry. We used him to get access to our office roof a couple of times, and I got talking to him. His story of why he got it went ...

He used to fit chimney liners using ladders - ladder up to the roof, cat ladder up the roof, stood on the ridge hauling up the liner with a rope and feeding it down the chimney.

One day, he was on the cat ladder when it slipped off the ridge - I think he said the ridge gave way. Luckily he was close enough, and fast enough, to get a hand on the ridge - and was left there on the roof while the ladders clattered to the ground two floors below. After that, he bought the cheery picker which is large enough to reach a typical chimney on a two storey house.
I suspect he probably bought new underwear first :rolleyes:

:eek:
..... Would probably be safer just to do it off the ladder? Just saying.

Wouldn't catch me up there that's for sure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back