Gable end chimney rebuild - scaffolding etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two story house where the my gable end chimney and upper section of gable end wall need to be taken down and rebuilt due to structural problems. Attached to the gable end wall is a large conservatory.

This is a windy site where ordinary netting, tarpaulins just get ripped in no time.

In general terms how should I expect the scaffolding contractor to protect the conservatory from falling debris ? Is netting normally used ? And if so does that type of netting have a special name ? Is there an alternative to netting which will not flap in the wind ?

What is the best way to protect the associated roof opening from rain & wind during what is likely to be an extended period of work ? It must be something which will not flap in the wind.

Your thoughts and experiences please :)

Sponsored Links
if the scaffolding contractor is employed by the builder then they should specify.
you'd have to discuss with the builder if not. maybe they will be careful and not drop any bricks, but you want to agree that before.
I'm not a scaffolder but worst case just build a platform over the conservatory.

You would employ a firm that designs scaffold to TG20 13, and that tells them what to do. That will cover the sheeting, bridging and guarding.

Sponsored Links
You would employ a firm that designs scaffold to TG20 13, and that tells them what to do. That will cover the sheeting, bridging and guarding.

... so is there any online resource with appropriate "worked examples" relevant to the job in question ... so far everything seems to point to buying the complete TG20 13 online software .... which I wouldn't understand or be able to use anyway.

I want to know what to reasonably expect so that I have some chance of being able to separate out those builders / contractors talking sense from those who try and make a mountain out of molehill.

The key issue here is protecting an attached conservatory from falling debris and protecting a roof opening from rain & wind during an extended period of work.

An thoughts welcome

For the conservatory, you could expect sheeting (not the crap sheeting you mentioned, but proper stuff) and perhaps a fan - which is a cantilevered cover to catch anything that may fall outside of the working platform. And if need be, hardboard or ply laid across the boards to cover the gaps. And there will no doubt be bridging units or beams

If you are covering the roof then you will need a tin hat. Or perhaps another tin hat for the conservatory and none of the above.

There should be copies of the risk assessment that consider the site and influence the design, and once erected the handover and compliance sheets and design diagram. Then the weekly check forms.

There is no online resource that comes to mind but you can certainly see examples if you put the above things in to google preceded by "scaffold".

And if you are not already aware, the CDM Regulations will require you as the client to ensure that its not just a case of protecting the conservatory, but that you instruct competent persons to design and erect the scaffold to prevent it falling, blowing away or anyone being injured due to its use or design - and that’s different to the need to just check the scaffold regularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back