Opening a gable end with chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to open up a gable end on the ground floor of a 2 storey rubble construction cottage built around 1850. Problem is there is a chimney breast. Is it possible to open this wall up to fit large windows on the ground floor. Obviously I won't be doing the work myself, but before I engage a structural engineer and get quotes from builders I just want to know if it't possible to open a gable end with chimney?

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to leave the chimney and open either side of it? Or remove the chimney and support it at first floor level?

Whatever you are quoted, budget for serious contingency. Whilst anything is possible if you throw enough money at it structural alteration to rubble built properties can be hugely difficult.

Is there any kind of listing/ conservation protection on the building?

In my rock and rubble cottage (Wensleydale) the flue and fire place are built within the thickness of the wall (24") so the wall is flat. If you have an "internal" flue with a more typical chimney breast, was this a Victorian modification?, is it built from brick? If it is an original "feature" then to build a window across it, it needs to be taken right down including the chimney stack because the walls will to too unstable to take gallows brackets.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The chimney is original, rock, and is full width of the wall, just under 30". I think you have both confirmed what I probably know already and it won't be possible without throwing huge sums of cash at it. Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back