re-pointing... prep tips please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The whole back wall of my house needs re-pointing and in order to keep costs down I would like to do as much of the prep work as I can...

... so how do I do that? Do I just scratch out the old mortar? If so to what depth? I have a drainpipe on the wall , can I scratch out behind this or is it better to take it off then put it back up?

When I get builders round are there particular things I should ask about when I am getting a quote from them?

Sponsored Links
I would not attempt to do this job yourself. Apart from the neatness of the finish you must use the correct mix for the mortar. Unless the job is done by a skilled bricklayer, it could devalue the house in my opinion.

I won't be doing the mortar bit only the prep - the removal of old mortar... that's what i am after tips on.

Sponsored Links
A couple of houses on my street have just been repointed by professional companies.

First one used what looked like a wall chaser connected to a vacuum cleaner to collect the dust and did everything off a ladder.

The other used a bog std 4" angle grinder and created considerable dust. Used a mobile platform.

PPE Mask and goggles a must obviously.

Be careful not to damage the brickwork when grinding. Try practicing on a part of the wall that won't be noticed.

Have a look at this website for tips:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Pointingbrickwork.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back