re pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 200yr old house and the gable-end wall will need re pointing after it's had some structural repair work done on it.
Lime mortar was used to build the wall, if I re-point it will it be best to use a lime mortar mix, or would it be best to use a modern cement?
many thanks for any suggestions or tips.

Sponsored Links
Use lime mortar, and with your house don't even think of the word cement. This is a starting point for lots more information and this has a useful forum. To get a good colour match, crush a small sample of the existing mortar and shake it up in a small amount of water in a narrow tube (test tube) then leave it to settle. You will then see what the original mix was made of so you can make up a similar mix.

The existing mortar should be removed carefully to avoid any damage, and the new mortar should be packed in carefully. Look up lime courses if you intend to do it yourself, it's well worth it, and it will give you loads of encouragement.

Thanks Oilman will do as you suggested...the colour match isn't so important because the wall has been painted....now all I need is a bit of sunshine! thanks again Spud.

oilman said:
Use lime mortar, and with your house don't even think of the word cement. This is a starting point for lots more information and this has a useful forum. To get a good colour match, crush a small sample of the existing mortar and shake it up in a small amount of water in a narrow tube (test tube) then leave it to settle. You will then see what the original mix was made of so you can make up a similar mix.

The existing mortar should be removed carefully to avoid any damage, and the new mortar should be packed in carefully. Look up lime courses if you intend to do it yourself, it's well worth it, and it will give you loads of encouragement.
I remember me Gramps doing that !!

Sponsored Links
.....the wall has been painted....

Hmmmm, that's sad, any chance of removing the paint and if you want it covered, using limewash? It can be coloured using pigments and is low cost and most important it breathes. Paint of the wrong sort can be as damaging as cement in its way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back