Repointing Potentially Large Sections (Pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My second post about my crumbling house. Looking to tackle some damp problems, I started to pick away at a Sandtex type finish on an exterior wall which I thought might be holding in moisture.

The Sandtex fell off straight away revealing the bricks underneath and the mortar had, in the worst effected places, turned to sand.
I raked away the sandy mortar until I got to something a bit tougher. In the worst effected places, I’d say to a depth of 4cm.

I obviously need to get this repointed with lime mortar. But I have a few questions I’m hoping you could help with:

1) It’s probably going to be a few weeks before I can prep the rest of the area and get someone to re-point – should I keep the bits I have raked out (like in the close up) covered and out of the rain?

2) Can you prep large areas to re-point or should you rake then fill and rake another area?

3) At what point (if any?) would raking out defective mortar cause structural problems? It felt like I was pulling big sections of my house out in sand(!).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back