Mortar pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best mix for pointing between flags,the old mortar is crumbling away and weeds appearing...i am going to rake it out and repoint but need a good mix .........

Sponsored Links
You should not use a strong mix to go between natural stone flags as this can do more harm than good when the frost comes. Mix cement lime sand ratio1: 2:9 and brush the mixture dry, into the joints.

Gordon

You should not use a strong mix to go between natural stone flags as this can do more harm than good when the frost comes. Mix cement lime sand ratio1: 2:9 and brush the mixture dry, into the joints.

Gordon

:eek:

oh dear.

Gordon

Who said he has natural stone flags?
Who said a dry mix is the way?
Who said you need lime?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention it,they are just patio flags ..........what is the best mix?

3:1 or 4:1. use a damp mix. work it well into the joints with a length of feather edge or a pointing trowel (feather edge is a lot quicker and rams it in very tight).

Good god.
I wouldn't advise 1:2:9 at all especially as a dry mix! :eek:
I would advise pointing wet, with a mix of 1:2:1.
1 Cement, 2 Building Sand and 1 River Sand.

River sand is a key component in a pointing mix as it adds a whole lot more strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back