Re-roofing garage, felt or no felt, dry verge or wet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have recently discovered that my garage roof is reaching the end of it's life, it's been there for 84 years with minimum maintenance. It currently has plain tiles and many of the tiles on the north face are now crumbling. The roof has no felt or anything under the tiles, looking up from inside you just see the batons and the underside of the tiles. I was wondering, when I replace the roof, should I put felt between the rafters and the new battens or not? There is no ventilation at the eves and thus using felt could cause damp problems?.

Another question I have is whether it's worth using dry verge and dry ridge systems, these seem rather expensive. Or should I just go with the traditional mortar and if I use mortar, what's the best mix for mortaring the ridge tiles and the verges?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, use felt. Given the cost factor for you, then use a mix of 3:1 sand and cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back