Re-roofing project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I will be having my 1960's semi-detached house re-roofed very soon. The old battens were rotten and the felt was falling apart. The old battens were 19mm-3/4" thick. The roofer has advised that to avoid an issue at the join with next doors roof they are going to use 19mm x 38mm battens so the new battens are the same height as the old ones, which makes perfect sense. However, I am a little concerned that:

a) the tile nails (38mm) will come out the back of the battens and puncture the new breathable membrane - would 32mm nails be okay, or insufficient penetration?
b) the batten thickness is not up to current standards (I understand 25mm thick is the generally accepted minimum for rafters at approx. 450mm centres

I like to try to do things properly, but perhaps I am worrying too much here! Has to be said the roof has been okay for 50+ years, and unlikely I will be around when it next needs doing!

Is there any way of using 25mm thick battens and still being able to join our tiles with the neighbours? The roofer said that they did not like bonding gutters.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Manny thanks

RVS

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about roofing but could you not plane down a 25mm batten so it gradually steps down to 19mm?? TBH I'd want the roofer to be worrying about this, they are the pro's!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back