re routing Soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present the soil pipe in the house is internal and runs up the corner of the bathroom exiting through the roof.
I want to know if there is a way to re route it through the wall (above floor level) in the bathroom and continue up outside the house. This would give more space in the bathroom and allow things to be moved round.

The plumber who did next doors house just capped off their soil pipe just above floor level but I feel sure that this is not within the regulations.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be most welcome?

Sponsored Links
As a plumber I cant see anything wrong with your proposal. BUT the building control officer from your local council might.
An air admittance valve may provide a way out for you but this should be fitted above the spill over height of the highest WC

The plan is to put in a full 1700 shower bath so the air admittance valve would be just below the level of the bath.

If an air admittance valve is fitted to the soil pipe inside the bathroom would that be acceptable as long as it's above the toilet spill over height?

I will check with the local BCO as well though.

Sponsored Links
The plan is to put in a full 1700 shower bath so the air admittance valve would be just below the level of the bath.

If an air admittance valve is fitted to the soil pipe inside the bathroom would that be acceptable as long as it's above the toilet spill over height?

I will check with the local BCO as well though.

Yes it would so long as there is still an open vent pipe somewhere in the drainage system to prevent pressure build up in the drains.
If there is no vent you can risk smelly drain gases blowing back through your wc or even sink or basin trap.
Something few have seen but nevertheless its possible.
I remember someone posting such a tale on here I wonder now if that was the cause of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back